Would you like to make a difference by becoming a Governor?
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust is soon to be holding an election to the Council of Governors. This is an exciting opportunity to represent the interests of Foundation Trust members and partner organisations from the local community.
As a Governor you will be able to:
- Share with the Board and Council the views of the local people you represent.
- Participate in meetings of the Council of Governors, its Committees, Governor Training Days and Joint Council of Governors/Board of Directors to represent the views of your constituencies and undertake the statutory duties of a Governor
- Ensure there is robust challenge about the strategic direction of the Trust, its vision and how it is performing.
- Actively engage with your constituents, seek out what they think about the services provided by Sussex Partnership and promote membership.
How to apply
The Election process is being run by the Electoral Reform Service and nomination forms will be available from Wednesday 08 May 2019, more details on how to nominate will be available soon. In order to stand for election you must be a member of the Trust in the constituency for which you wish to be elected, and the positions that will be forming our election include:
- Service User, Brighton and Hove – 1 position
- Service User, East Sussex – 2 positions
- Public, Brighton and Hove – 1 position
- Public, East Sussex – 2 positions
- Public, West Sussex – 2 position
- Public, Outside of Sussex – 1 position
- Carer – 3 positions
- Staff – 1 position
The Governor role is voluntary; governors are not paid a salary but are entitled to claim expenses incurred in connection with their duties such as travel to and from meetings, training days and conferences.
A governor term runs for three years, and each governor can stand for a maximum of three terms (nine years in total). At the end of each term an election is held so members have the opportunity to vote for their preferred representative.
Want to know more?
Our 'Thinking about becoming a Governor?' information booklet gives a good overview of the role and what will be required of you.
Why not come to a Council of Governors or Board of Directors meeting. This will give you the chance to experience how our formal meetings run; you will also have the chance to meet fellow governors and members of our board.
More information about governor elections process please contact Natalie Hennings, Corporate Governance Manager on email email@example.com or by calling 07391 012421.
You may find the following documents useful reading to learn more about the role: