There is a wide range of benefits that may be available to you as a carer or to the person that you care for, including:
- Attendance allowance
- Carer’s allowance and the carer premium
- Disability living allowance
- Healthcare travel costs
- Home responsibilities protection
- Housing benefit, council tax benefit
- Incapacity benefit
- Income support
- Local housing allowance
- Pension credit
- Tax credits
- Terminal illness - special rules for claiming disability living allowance.
The person that you care for may also be able to receive direct payments and ‘self-direct’ their care, which has implications for you.
If you are combining work and caring, you have certain statutory rights to flexible working. Many employers are willing to go beyond their statutory responsibilities to support staff who are also carers.
Find out more
You can get more detailed information from: